--------
Preface:
Jm has wanted this change for a while, but has resisted my suggestions he
should appeal this issue to the list (all of you).  Since I do not support
the request to change this, I must apologize in advance for any lack of
impartiality I may have regarding this discussion.  Anyone who disagrees
with me, I beg and implore you to speak up now, because once the matter is
settled, I want to keep it that way...

-----
Since time immemorial, when you are inside of an /on caused by a privmsg
(/on msg, /on public*, /on ctcp, etc) and you try to send a PRIVMSG (/msg,
/ctcp, /redirect, etc), ircII has always (silently) changed it into a NOTICE.

This behavior is implied by the wording of the irc protocol, but is not
explicitly mandatory.  There are various hackish ways around it, using
/quote, /timer 0, etc.

EPIC maintains backwards compatability with ircII in this regard, and changes
your PRIVMSGs to NOTICEs because avoiding accidental message loops is one of
the responsibilities a client has.

Shall this feature be removed, and shall all restrictions on sending PRIVMSGs
from any place for any reason be removed?

I shall abide by the will of the consensus of those who participate in this
discussion, and I will consider the matter closed once we reach that consensus.
If there is no consensus, then I will not make any changes, but will continue
to consider the matter open.

Jeremy