On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 10:34:47AM -0400, Brian Bruns wrote:
> On Friday, May 26, 2006 10:14 AM [EST], Jeremy Nelson wrote:
>
> > and what support for utf-8 would mean for epic5?  I understand all of
> > the principles, but what I don't understand is what things are broken
> > in epic5 because of the lack of support, and then what things are at
> > my disposal to "fix" these broken things.
> >
> > I get a lot of requests to support utf-8, but nobody seems to know
> > what is required, and neither do I.  So this call for assistance.
>
> UTF-8 display should be supported by making sure the right LANG and TERM
> are set.  Input is another issue.  EPIC uses ncurses right?

No -- epic does everything right off the pty using open() and read() and
select() and so forth.  You may ask about epic linking against ncurses,
but that is because ncurses comes with a terminfo implementation which
epic prefers to termcap.

One of the things people have mentioned with utf8 support is column counting.
It's apparantly no longer valid to assume every byte takes up a column:
sometimes multiple bytes make up one column, and sometimes one byte takes
up multiple columns.  How have others solved this?

Then there's issues like how should epic internally store strings, should
we use utf16 (wchar_t) from c99?  And what if someone is not using a utf-8
terminal emulator, how do i support those?

Jeremy