From: Jeremy Nelson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2006 6:21 PM
To: list@epicsol.org
Subject: [EPIC] Mandatory Dependancies and OpenSSL

In the past, we have had discussions about whether EPIC should have any
mandatory dependancies.  Most recently, we agreed that EPIC could (or
should)
have a mandatory dependancy on ncurses.  This has not yet come to pass, but
I know I have permission to do so should the time be ripe.

EPIC has long had an optional dependancy on openssl, since the EPIC4-SSL
project was merged in 4.5 years ago.  Very recently EPIC5 has sprouted
support for openssl's evp api to do strong crypto..

Now the question comes to whether we should adopt openssl's BIO api.
This could not be done in a way that is "optional".  It would require
that openssl be a mandatory dependancy of epic5.

The pros are, the openssl BIO api is transparant and allows for a lot of
new things that I can't do now, with and without encryption.  This would
reduce special cases and testing time, and increases functionality.

The cons are, openssl is a pig, not everybody has it installed, I don't
know whether it's legal to use it everywhere in the world, and the general
sentiment that epic should never have a mandatory dependancy.

What do you all think?