On Fri, Aug 24, 2007, Jeremy Nelson wrote:
> For example, the channel name may be encoded in iso-8859-1 and the
> users may agree to use utf-8.  ***so it's fundamentally important
> to be able to specify a different encoding for privmsgs on the channel
> than is used to specify the encoding of the channel name itself.***

> THEREFORE,
> We're going to have to start thinking about syntax for how to specify
> all this stuff on a per-channel, per-server basis.  As a wild example,
> we could prefix channel names with encoding, using invalid-for-channel
> characters.

> Example:
>       /join (iso-8859-1)#fr=F6nd
> (join the channel, encoding the channel name in iso-8859-1)

>       /join (utf-8)#fr=F6nd)
> (join the channel, encoding the channel name in utf-8)

>       /join (iso--8859-1/utf-8)#fr=F6nd
> (the channel name is encoded in iso-8859-1, but privmsgs will be
> encoded in utf-8)

How about something more flexible? Hook up a charset-deciding function
in serverctl(). Pass it a servernum() along with a raw $T.

A provided script would allow one to register target-recoding in such a
manner:

/recode add -name ISO-8859-2 kielbasa/#żółw UTF-8
/recode add efnet/#epic ISO-8859-1 # -name defaults to ISO-8859-1
/recode add efnet/ UTF-8 # fallback

which should be pretty trivial to support with the xform-iconv code in
place.

> The last thing I want to do is support utf-8 but then end up having
> it be half-assed and make everyone think i'm a clod for not thinking
> of every last important detail to take care of.  So now is the time
> to tell me what's really important for supporting a multi-encoding
> irc client!

We'll make it. Will write the dreaded input-bar code when the time is
ripe.

-sh

--
   /\
    /   Jabber ID       :: [EMAIL PROTECTED]