I've been tinkering around with EPIC5 for a few days, and there's one
difference which has been the source of some confusion for me.  Take
for example the following alias on EPIC4/ircII:

alias t //topic

This has two capabilities: a user can type "/t" and see what the current
topic is and when it was set, or they can type "/t hello bob" and set
the current topic.

This alias breaks on EPIC5, with "/t" by itself setting the topic to
literally nothing.  The only solution I found was to do this, which
seems a bit unnecessary:

alias t { if ([$0]) { //topic $* } { //topic } }

Is there a more intelligent way of accomplishing what used to "just
work" in EPIC4?