Just for the record, EPIC5 compiles out of the box on my
machine, including the SSL stuff (I've got the latest
OpenSSL installed).  And my system is even more unusual
than Ubuntu.  ;-)  (In fact it's not even Linux.)

I'd also like to emphasize that cryptography is *NOT*
prohibited in Germany, and not even unwanted.  In fact,
everyone is *encouraged* to use strong cryptography.
So I have to assume that Richard either confused Germany
with some other country, or his remark was somehow meant
to be ironic (but it doesn't make sense anyhow).

Best regards
   Oliver