From: Martin B. Schwimmer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 1999 10:40 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Why has NSI started hiding registration dates?

>  Fourth,
>there does not seem to be any reason why third parties need
>to know the anniversary date or status of domain names for
>which they have no association and, if they do feel they
>need this information, they could contact the registrant to
>request this information.

The whois database is the primary tool used by third parties
to police
their intellectual property rights.  It is also a much used
tool for
searching the availability of marks for adoption (as NSI is
aware, given
the heavy use if whois by such commercial search firms as
Thomson & Thomson).

One of the most critical pieces of information in analyzing
the rights
between parties is the priority date of adoption - without
knowing the
registration date a third party cannot determine when the DN
registrant
first manifested an itnerest in the mark.  Also, isn't
knowledge of the
registration date necessary for determining whether a
request for intiating
a request for NSI's dispute resolution policy?

Also, because the third party will often need to learn the
registration
date in a conflict situation, the DN registrant itself is
not a likely
forthcoming source of accurate information.