I am concerned with the urge to filter candidates for the board.  The objective should be to offer choice, not limit it.  We are dealing with a sophisticated electorate and will probably know each member by their long history of participation (or will not have any basis for voting for them!).  We do not have to worry about Phineus Fantom or Net Kook getting elected just because they can self-nominate.  However, we do have to worry about having a meaningful choice if the nominations must come from a committee or be supported by a petition of 68 members as is required by ISOC.  That would pose a serious barrier for most members of the Boston Working Group, for example, though I consider each of them qualified to be a candidate as well as to serve.

The real filter is the election.  The voters must determine what qualifications are important to them and who, on balance, will best represent the constellation of interests, approaches and values they wish to advance.  Any artificial mechanism limiting such choice or the ability of member participation is inherently suspect and must be rejected unless shown necessary by clear and compelling justification (burden of proof).  Inclination and personal preference in such regard is not sufficient basis for diminishing member access to the process.

Eric Weisberg, Gen. Counsel
Internet Texoma

Wendy Seltzer wrote:

1:00 - 2:30     Breakout Sessions:
                How should directors be nominated and elected (Diane Cabell)<br>