From: "Jay D Ribak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains,ba.internet
Subject: Re: WIPO's DNS comment period has been extended.
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 09:29:37 -0500

These were some interesting links you provided.   WIPO's RFC has raised
many red flags for me.   Some of the proposals are quite
frightening--especially
the loser pays arbitration costs part.  I think there are some serious flaws
in
this plan, and in almost every other plan I have seen regarding DNS.   A
recent
editorial in the Boston Globe proposed something along the lines of allowing
more than one company to register the same domain name!

The biggest flaw with ANY plan regarding DNS is the inherent
misunderstanding of the purpose of DNS.   DNS was not created with any kind
of 'intellectual property' laws in mind.   The only purpose of the domain
name
system was to allow people to use easily remembered names to access host
computers, rather than having to memorize 32-bit IP addresses.    Any kind
of
plan to provide intellectual property protection in the domain name system
is inherently flawed because DNS was never designed to do that, and I don't
see
any way in which it can manipulated to do that.

Approving WIPO's RFC 3 is only going to benefit the large companies and
hurt the smaller companies and individuals.  The internet was not intended
to become the commercial morass that it is now.    The internet is quickly
being wrested away from the educational and research oriented environments
that created it and handed to the uneducated and money grubbing masses.  It
truly is painful to watch...

--Jay R.

Reality is a point of view <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7cmc1f$e44$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>Speak up before the 19th! Domain name politics offered up an extension to
the public comment period that was previously scheduled to end March 12th.
Not that they are likely to listen, but given token gestures maybe
constructive change isn't completely unlikely . . . -- Gary Johnson
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Privacy on the net is still illegal.