>>> firstword: "Paths"
>>> if find swords firstword [print "Action block if found"]
>== false
>>> firstword: "Path"
>>> if find swords firstword [print "Action block if found"]
>Action block if found

Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for.  I tried using the pipe |
like in the parse dialect, but it didn't work (obviously) and "or"
doesn't work for strings (or so console told me.)  Thanks for the
input.  I'm a newbie to programming (my only experience is programming
in AppleSoft BASIC 15 years ago) and I really appreciate the help.  In
case you didn't recognize it in the code, I am working on a script that
grabs the headers and bodies for a newsgroup from a news server, then
discards all of the unwanted headers and builds the page nicely with
HTML tags.  Then I will have it FTP the information to a site
somewhere.  I would like to make this automated at some point, where
the script runs every 15 mins. or so and refreshes the information, but
I have a ways to go with that.

-Ryan