writes
>>> I am using Linux, and only dial-up network. When I am
>>> online read dns:// always gets my local name/address,
>>> not the one I get assigned by my ISP.
>
>Windoze behaves the same way.  I keep getting the IP of my
>network card instead of the address assigned by my ISP.

I posted a script a while ago that allowed you to set up a webserver on
a dynamic IP address.  The trick to obtaining your IP address is to read
an external page that gives you your ip address.

I have one setup at http://www.compkarori.com/oracle.shtml that I used
for this purpose.  You can use it if you wish.

Just parse out the text between <IPAddress> and </IPAddress>

-------
Regards,        Graham Chiu
gchiu<at>compkarori.co.nz
http://www.compkarori.com/dynamo - The Homebuilt Dynamo