> But, now I'm confused. Why is that different to what I had? Or, why didn't
I get a new empty string each call previously?

It's one of the differences Rebol has with other languages. When you assign
a string to a word, like this:
        s: ""
    You're literally assigning 's to the string just after the 's in the
above line. Therefore that string, just after the "s:" is where the contents
of the string refered to by 's reside.
    By using the 'copy, as in:
        s: copy ""
    you get a fresh copy of the next thing after the 'copy word, into 's.\

The colon ":" is the set-word operator, which is literally:
        set the word to the left to point to the right.
    Which is not quite assignment in conventional languages.

I hope that helps!

Andrew Martin
Unique Rebol...
ICQ: 26227169