Keith,

That's a great question! We should put it in our FAQ (ping: Bo). There are two answers:

1) Because it's easier for beginners:

During design I considered scoping both ways, top down (non-local default) and bottom
up (local default).  Problem is, defaulting non-local is much easier for beginners and
for writing those quickie scripts.

Consider this: if local is the preferred scope, then every non-local word must be
declared.  That would require *every* REBOL function name that is used in the function
to be declared.

2) You can have it your way:

The beauty of REBOL is that you can write your own function for creating functions
where local variables are the default. This is possible because REBOL uses
Definitional Scoping - a dynamic form of static scoping that depends on context
definitions.

Is such a function difficult to write?  No.  Consider the fact that the func function
you use everyday is only one line of REBOL:

    func: make function! [args body] [make function! args body]

To create a revfunc (reversed scoped) function, you will need to scan body and all of
its sub-blocks to build a list of words.  You would then remove from that list all
words that are declared as non-locals. Here is the code, using the function function
to hold the locals block:

    revfunc: func [args nonlocals body] [
        function args find-all-words body nonlocals body
    ]

Find-all-words is left as an exercise to readers so that they will remember this
scoping lesson.

-Carl
REBOL's Dad