On 9/21/2000 at 3:38 PM [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Although, If I remember correctly, MySQL is a business, free for non
profitable use or something.

They were on the fence for a while, especially as to the NT version,
but it did go full open source this year.

> But, as far as I know, Python and PHP are not businesses.

Until today, when COMMAND shipped, neither was REBOL.

Though the point was if the theory of the opportunistic marketer were
valid, it would have happened already.

> You also make me think of an interesting question, could making REBOL
open source actually scare away big business competition?

Definately. But it's a moot point. REBOL couldn't handle open source.

> it would be interesting to know how the market place evolved

The glib answer would be: open source, survival of the fittest; closed
source, survival of the richest.

-Ted.