From: "Rob O'Rourke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 1:35 PM
Subject: [WSG] Accessibility of forms, do you always need a label with drop
downs?

Hi all,

    Just a quick question, I was wondering if anyone has had any
experience with or has read something about the accessibility of a form
that uses the value attribute to convey what the field is for. I'm
talking about those forms where there is something already filled in for
the field to tell you what it's for. I'm not keen on the practice myself
but the case I'm curious about is when using a <select> drop down box.
    The search form here http://www.tradeonly.co.uk takes this approach.
The site isn't by any means a shining example of accessibility anyway
but I'm just interesting in your views on this approach.

    I was thinking about positioning the labels off-screen as a
workaround (much as I don't want to but it's a request from above).

    Cheers,
    Rob