On 11 Jan 2007, at 14:30:05, Barney Carroll wrote:

Conceive of a persona who is not a read-up fan of Apple's UI recommendations (my target audience, incidentally). Are they going to hover their cursor over a button, see it turn into a hand, and get baffled? I very much doubt it. In fact I think it would elucidate the functionality of the button.

The point of being consistent is that the user notices nothing. As Jakob Nielsen puts it, "Users spend most of their time on other websites... This means that they form their expectations for your site based on what's commonly done on most other sites. If you deviate, your site will be harder to use." [1] The fact that it's a button elucidates its functionality. If you need to offer additional cues, you need to redesign your button.

The cursor, in my mind, has no bearing on this difference.

On the contrary, the cursor is a crucial element of the user experience. If it starts behaving in ways other than expected, the potential for confusion is there.

I don't think I'm flippant in thinking that this is standardisation gone mad - it is at the point where designing no longer requires insight or creativity, and simply demands mechanical processing according to ancient presets without analysis.

Please don't take this personally (it so happens it's one of my bugbears, and I tend to start ranting when it comes up) but one of the worst problems on the web is graphic designers who think that their "vision" or "creativity" or whatever overrides the need for usability. Graphic design for the web (or, indeed, anywhere) must always be subordinate to usability; great graphic design recognises this, and actually enhances usability, as well as being aesthetically pleasing.

As for "ancient presets": Apple carried out several years of regular user testing in the process of designing the Mac user interface [2]. They still do this, and the default cursor behaviour is one of the things they have found no reason to change. The expression "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is often used inappropriately (as Kent Beck's grandmother says, "If it stinks, change it" [3]) but in this case I don't believe anything is broken, and you are solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Kind regards,

Nick.

[1] <http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9605.html>
[2] <http://folklore.org/StoryView.py? project=Macintosh&story=Do_It.txt&topic=User% 20Interface&sortOrder=Sort%20by%20Date&detail=medium> [3] Quoted in the book "Refactoring: Improving the design of existing code" by Martin Fowler et al. <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Refactoring- Improving-Design-Existing-Technology/dp/0201485672/sr=8-1/ qid=1168528154/ref=pd_ka_1/026-4118605-6022024?ie=UTF8&s=books>
--
Nick Fitzsimons
http://www.nickfitz.co.uk/