The problem here is IE and floats. You can make the design more robust by
adding a negative margin on the side column that's equal to its width. But
you won't get a perfect solution using percentage widths on the side column,
only when using ems or pixels.

Have a look at the samples on this site...

http://www.strictlycss.com/examples/fluid-css-layout-with-faux-columns-1.asp