http://167.216.192.98/httabloid/cda/storymain/0,4074,1778,00.html

Here is a great piece of news for Indian men - their
semen is in great demand in Europe. Recently, the
authorities at Kochi port held an American woman
trying to smuggle out containers that carried frozen
semen. The woman revealed that the frozen fluid was
sent to her from Delhi.

But what is so special about Indian semen that one
needs to smuggle it out? "Indian sperm is considered
to be the healthiest among Asian sperms," says Dr.
Ashish Sabherwal, member, Indian Medical Association
and a well known sexologist.

According to a recent World Health Organisation
report, the problem of infertility has assumed
alarming proportions in Europe. An anti-nature
lifestyle and processed foods have damaged the natural
functioning of the human reproductive system among
Europeans. "Most European countries need Indian semen
to fill the vacuum," Dr. Sabherwal claims.

And that is where this turns into a tale of
exploitation. For the fact of the matter is that
poverty has led many Indian men to be milked like
cows. They now not only sell their blood but also
ejaculate artificially to get some moolah in return.

There are increasing reports of unemployed rural youth
approaching potential semen buyers. And it is not only
private semen banks but also hospitals like LNJP and
Batra in Delhi that have been receiving over ten
enquiries each day.

These boys (mostly from neighbouring states like
Haryana and UP), who get around Rs 800 to 1500 for
each shot, are more or less indifferent to the
attrition that this practice will cause to their
mental and sexual health.

"I don't see any harm in selling one's semen if that
can support one's livelihood. The government can talk
about morality, since it doesn't know what starving
is. As long as we are not doing anything criminal and
are not harming anyone, it's fine," argues Ravi, an
unemployed youth.

Anurag Mathur from Rajasthan places sustenance over
health. "What more do I want if eight to nine shots a
month can make my life happier? I would rather feel
weak after having ejaculated compulsively than live
with the stress of being penniless," says he.

The semen business seems to be doing well in view of
the growing demand. "Like blood, it's a commodity that
can be sold. The seller and the buyer have a mutual
understanding. We know it's a wrong practice but if
they insist upon selling it, we can't send them back,"
says a senior doctor at a private semen bank in Delhi.

How about local consumption? Though Indian metros are
following a lifestyle more or less akin to the West,
Dr. Abha Majumdar, Head, Infertility Department, RML
Hospital, doesn't see any immediate need for the
commercial storage of semen.

"Indian male fertility is definitely on the decline.
While the volume of semen remains the same,
concentration of sperm has decreased from 89 million
per millilitre to 60 million. It is all because of
environmental pollution, chemical preservatives and
packaged junk food that we consume. Women are opening
up to alien sperms but still the consumption is low,"
says Dr. Majumdar.

Khalid M Ansari (HTTabloid.com)