Simon,
I had worked with both in the past. The main concern with a server (as opposed
with the client VPC2007) is that it is a shared resource. This means developers
are "competing" for CPU time - and that can be very annoying. However, if you
have a monster server in your budget, and you can get a CPU per developer, and
maybe one spare for the host and 2GB per developer - you may have a good
solution there.
As for the images - I myself toyed with this idea - but I'd make it a clean
image every week and not every day. That way the developers don't waste too
much time each morning setting up things to get to where they want - but only
on Monday. However - this approach does mean you are ruining the state for the
developers. If someone created 500 sites with documents to play with (to test
an aggregation web part for example), forcing him to go back to the base image
ruins it. Also if he installed many applications or a very complex solution.

My perfect environment is each developer has his VPC image (either on the
powerful server or on his desktop) and that image is backed up - daily backup
is up to the developer, weekly backup is forced. An image is in place for a
base development environment so that developers can start from scratch without
waiting.

Then you will need an integration server, and a test environment that has more
than one server (a farm) and so on - but I guess you can read the whitepapers
as well as I can.

Final note - be sure to read
http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/1/7/817861c5-ba23-44f9-82c2-4923ee20f444/ImplementingMOSSandWindowsSharePointServicesSolutions.docx
I am still reading it- and I don't agree with it 100% (especially about the
whole GAC vs BIN issue), but it is a very good document for what you are after.

Ishai Sagi
Solution Architect
Information Management
MVP Microsoft Office SharePoint Server

Direct:    02 6225 4302
Fax:       02 8001 7778
Mobile:   0423 791 728
Email:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Web:     www.uniqueworld.net<http://www.uniqueworld.net/>
Blog:         www.sharepoint-tips.com<http://www.sharepoint-tips.com/>
innovative business solutions that make a difference