"A list for improving literacy with focus on middle grades."
<lit@literacyworkshop.org> on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 10:24 AM
-0500 wrote:
>Cyrene Wells, Joanne Portalupi and Martha Horn talked about learning and
>what we all need to learn.
>
>Joanne shared her true assessments of learning as being:
>
>1.  Do students see themselves as writers?
>2.  Do they talk a long view of learning to write?
>3.  Does experimentation arise from a "what if" attitude?
>4.  Do they learn from multiple sources?
>5.  Do they understand the important and complex relationship between
>process and product?

Hi!

In my school, we are undertaking a fairly intense re-evaluation of how we
assess and report student work and progress. So when I see these five
questions, which I love, I also find myself wondering how one goes about
answering each question for each individual student. It seems as though it
would have to be an objective self-evaluation given to the kids to which
the teachers then react. Does that make sense? If so, what would be the
exact questions asked on such an evaluation? How often might such an
evaluation be given?

Take care,
Bill Ivey
Stoneleigh-Burnham School