Marilyn and I were the first to use the Jordan Series Drogue in full
storm conditions back in '92. We laid to it for three days on our
Searunner 37, Kuan Yin.

The stern of the boat has greater buoyancy than the pointy bow. We had a
large (18x46 inch) window facing the breaking seas and never experienced
any problems.

The JSD is not a "sea anchor". It is a drogue. Unlike a sea anchor (para
anchor?) It yields to the seas instead of holding fast. This reduces the
strain on fittings and allows the boat to become part of the wave
action, not in opposition to it. When we first deployed it I thought
we'd lost it because the boat slowed down from 12 kts to less than a
knot slowly and evenly, not the rapid deceleration i had expected.

I have fond memories of sipping a hot cup'a cocoa while looking up at
breaking waves tumbling towards our stern. Best way to enjoy a storm.
Ever!

Wrote it up for MultiHull mag if you care to look it up. Called "Maiden
Voyage"

Philip
--
S/V ORYOKI
Philip & Marilyn Lange

"There's no point in making a plan if
 you're not going to pretend to follow it!"