Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> * Does the community still want the LiveCD project? (Consider that a
> couple of the arguments above imply that the LFS LiveCD by its nature is
> degrading the quality of LFS)
>
> * If so, is the community prepared to lend help in keeping it alive?

Thank you all for your comments and consideration. I ran through the
lists quickly this morning and came up with the following:

20 people expressed their appreciation for the CD, more than half voting
to keep the project around. Also, several either offered to contribute
or suggested ways in which the project may be improved.

2 people explicitly voted to drop the project.

I could let this thread continue for some more time, but I get the
impression that the ratio of votes will continue approximately the same.

So the real question now becomes, where do we go from here? There have
been a few suggestions put forward as to what may help future
development and what will alleviate the original concerns brought up. I
will try to lay down what I recall:

that is minimal (and minimal means minimal, not just 'without X') and
re-define core concepts that the CD will adhere closely to. (For
example, as proof of the soundness of LFS, the CD should strictly adhere
to LFS. If we adopt this one aspect, we should also be able to make use
of ALFS development to produce the CD, instead of maintaining a full set
of separate scripts.)

* As has been suggested from a long time ago, make use of package
management in the build process, especially for BLFS packages. This
would allow at least two benefits: an easier development process, and
greater extensibility/customization.

* Add an LFS-style document to the project that teaches how to create a
LiveCD from scratch.

* Devise methods for users to more easily provide feedback and make it
easier to contribute as a whole.

What are your thoughts on the above? And are there any other
suggestions, either new ones or ones that I missed?

--
JH