Solved! Thanks to Steffen, who emailed me directly.

Rather than VeSTige, what I want to use is the VST folder setting in
Preferences. So I put the DLL in a suitable folder, pointed LMMS at
that folder and restarted LMMS.

Then the VST shows up in the effects list. Worked perfectly when tested.

Tres: GSnap has two modes: either (a) snap the pitch to one of a
defined set of possible pitches (e.g. a scale), or (b) track a MIDI
input. I have no idea how to get a MIDI input to the plugin, but the
first mode works perfectly for my purposes.

I'll just go add it to the wiki ...