Looks like it's on its way back into Debian, hence likely Ubuntu:

http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/607591/355ac0a31e95f9d3/

Basically someone in Debian needs to do the work of packaging it to
Debian quality. And the security team has to actually be happy with
both packages, if ffmpeg is not to replace libav. That is: this is
Debian internal politics *and* work. I'm not sure that's something
that's susceptible to a petition.

- d.