> 1. Both song/BB editor have a "Record" button.
>     How do they differ from each other?

They don't? :) Either you can look a the B&B Editor and ascertain that the
B&B Editor don't got a record button, only play and stop. Or, as I guess
you have done, you can find out that you can open the Piano Roll Editor
from the B&B Editor and it will be the same Piano Roll as when opened from
the Song Editor.

Am I missing something here?

> 2. What does "Project > Save As New Version" menu do?
>     Is it relevant now, even after 3 years?

It is a new feature, seven months old maybe. It saves your project by
appending increment numbers to your project and you will be able to
continue to work on the latest version without any disruptions. It starts
by adding "-01", so your project called test.mmpz will be called
test-01.mmpz. The next time you save as new version it will get the name
test-02.mmpz.

> 3. In the Instrument window, MIDI tab, "Enable MIDI" section:
>     What does the "Note" control do?

I can't find such a feature, are you sure it is called "note control"? It
might be that something have been removed for LMMS 1.1, I am using an
RC/beta version.

What is new from 0.4.15 there is the way LMMS handles MIDI instruments, so
the option "Custom Base Velocity" has been added. MIDI has velocity from 0
to 127, while LMMS in the Piano Roll has the option to adjust each note
from 0% to 200%. In old versions of LMMS turning the volume above 100% did
nothing (and eventually started causing a bug so therefore it was changed),
cause 100% was 127 velocity. From LMMS 1.0.0 100% is 63 velocity and 200%
is 127 velocity.

4. What are the practical uses of the *File > Export tracks...* command
> (CTRL+SHFT+E)?

Mastering and mixing in other programs, or just editing in other programs.
An important and useful function is that it will not export muted tracks,
so you can choose some tracks you want to export.

5. The table for LB302 plugin:
>     What do the following parameters do to sound distortion: slide,
> accent, dead.

Good question, I see you have already looked at the wiki. I think the wiki
actually is wrong here, I can't understand what slide has to do with
distortion. The slide LED toggle turns slide=portamento on and off and the
knob slide decides how long time it goes before sliding (I think).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_TB-303
>From reading up on this page I can indeed confirm that my thinking was
correct. I have not found out what the "dead" LED toggle is. Maybe making
the sound more monophonic? According to the article there was an accent
function, but I wouldn't say that the "dead" function added accent, more
like the opposite.

There aren't any accent parameter in LB 302, so the wiki is wrong there
again, could be the original coder of the plugin who wrote the article
before he was finished with the plugin, or it could be someone who have
read the same wikipedia article I just did.

6. Patman plugin: What's "Tune mode"?

Much like a soundfont the .pat files contains several samples which is
different recordings of an instrument in this case at different note
frequencies. Without tune mode you will only hear the original samples,
which usually isn't all over the keyboard but only every sixth whole note
for example. In tune mode PatMan will adjust the frequency of the
nearest(?) sample so you can play all the different notes on your keyboard
without having one sample for each key.

7. VeSTige plugin: What do the following controls do?
>     1. Control VST from LMMS Host
>     2. Turn off all notes

It opens a window with all accessible parameters as regular LMMS knobs,
this way you can automate those parameters.

> 8.  ZynAddSubFX plugin: Forward MIDI control changes -> what does it do?

I am no good with MIDI, sorry. If you ask at the developer mailing list (or
ask me to do it) you will probably get better answers at technical
questions such as the LB 302 one.

9. Do the NUMPAD buttons + and - really work in BB Editor??

Yes, and it doesn't have to be the numpad it seems. They change to the next
or previous B&B track. You must have several B&B tracks for it to work.

> 10. BB Editor track's context menu: Is the Freeze/unfreeze feature removed
> now?

Yes, removed from everywhere. That is also right click menu in Song Editor.

11. Earlier, one step at a time could be added to the BB Editor timeline.
> Since the timeline is always a whole multiple of a measure, some blank
> space was left at the end of the timeline. But the new design adds multiple
> steps to fill up the space, leaving no blank space. Is that correct?

Yes. You would have silence at the end anyway in the previous versions, the
beat wouldn't start over one quarter note before the other beats.

> 12. The entire Bassline-related behavior seems to have changed.
>       Earlier, it was possible to insert a note of any length.
>       Now LMMS allows only a small note that is shorter than 1/32th of a
> measure.

What? How? Did it? I want to know!! You can double click on the note area
in B&B Editor to open Piano Roll and enter regular notes of infinity length,

13. Earlier, when we inserted a bassline in a BB Editor track, the track
> used to show the pattern like Song Editor's melody track. But now it only
> displays steps.

Hmm, yeah, there is something that have changed with that. Or is it... I
can't explain, don't remember. I know that when you have zoomed in 800% or
more and you have only drum notes it will be displayed as in the B&B
Editor. If you add long notes it will go back to looking like a normal
pattern.

> 14. When we add a bassline note in the nth step in Song Editor, that step
> is supposed to light up in the BB Editor. But practically this does not
> happen: As we go on inserting bassline notes in progressive steps, the BB
> Editor toggles random steps on/off.

No, nothing in the Song Editor will show up in the Beat and Bassline
Editor. Has it done that before?

--
From
Stian Jørgensrud