I think this conversation is an irrelevant debate. if you want to join an
Ubuntu-LoCo and push another OS that seems just silly. If you have an active
LUG in your area then work with them or start a local group to accomplish
what you wish. The Ubuntu LoCo's do spread the word about OSS and do help
others out but their main focus is spreading the word about and supporting
Ubuntu. I think pushing another OS with Ubuntu's resources would not be
good. I joined Ubuntu-LoCo because I loved Ubuntu and wanted to support it.
I am also involved with the area LUG as are some of the other LoCo members
and I represent Ubuntu there as well.
Remember it's not a LoCo Group it is an UBUNTU LoCo group.

On 9/28/07, Pomeroy Lab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't think I need to respond to this. I think I will let someone else
> handle it.
>
> *Martin Owens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>* wrote:
>
> > Ok then by that definition I'm probably a LUG because I promote
> everything.
> > But I still don't want to exclude you from advertisement at my Linux
> Fest
> > and I don't want LoCo to exclude LUGs from advertisement that want to
> help
> > LoCo by promoting every Linux distro. Maybe what we need is a common
> ground
> > site. One like this http://www.listphile.com/Linux that lists every
> location
> > and what it is. By using this particular site you will be getting more
> > traffic and if others from other states and cities see this site listed
> on
> > your site they will find closer groups that they can get to. This will
> get
> > rid of the frustration of finding support. So yes I think that every
> LoCo,
> > LUG, or whatever should use this map site and also promote it. Is there
> > anything wrong with that?
>
> The focus and definition is different, a LUG is a _user_ group, a LoCo
> is an advocacy group; they have very different memes and quite
> different events. A LUG will just sit there and server it's members,
> it will put energy into getting people to join the group (LUG) where
> as a LoCo should not be putting effort into getting people to join
> their LoCo, they should be putting all energy into promoting Ubuntu or
> what ever it is because LoCo members will drop out of the expanding
> user base.
>
> The difference is that one cares about existing users and one cares
> about new users; each has members which can be shared but the actions
> expected and taken by those users are different; I don't expect normal
> users to join my LoCo unless they want to help out in some way.
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens
>
> --

Jason Sandlin

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AlabamaTeam