Hi,

Most (if not all) of our projects use the PatternLayout to define the layout
for our log messages, but I would like to be able to render Exceptions in a
different manner.

For instance, only render the original stacktrace of a (potentially)
rebadged Exception, but include the list of messages from each level of
rebadging, either before the stacktrace or perhaps next to the stacktrace
element at which it was rebadged.

What is the best way to achieve this?

It doesn't look like PatternLayout actually handles the rendering of an
Exception.

As far as I can tell, the rendering is delegated to
ThrowableInformation#getThrowableStringRep (at least in 1.2.12) and I
couldn't see any way to configure log4j to use something different. I guess
I kind of expecting a ThrowableRenderer or similar with pluggable
implementations - no ?

William