It does not start different JVMs - however, given the way the tomcat
classloader works (
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/class-loader-howto.html ), the
instances are separate. I have a bunch of servers with separate log4j
configurations on each context to support my point ;)

But you made me remember an important point - log4j.jar must be only inside
the contexts, and not in $TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib or $TOMCAT_HOME/shared/lib