The DB Appender is self written and configured as follows:

    <appender name="DB_APPENDER"
class="ch.ergonomics.pms.common.supervision.PMSJDBCAppender">
        <param name="PreparedSQL" value="{ ? = call INS_LOG( ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ? )
}"/>
            <param name="ConversionPattern"
value="%F:%L@@%-5p@@%-10X{category}@@%-7t@@%m"/>
        </layout>
        <filter class="org.apache.log4j.varia.LevelRangeFilter">
            <param name="LevelMin" value="warn"/>
            <param name="LevelMax" value="fatal"/>
            <param name="AcceptOnMatch" value="false"/>
        </filter>
    </appender>

Here the code of the appender class. Some properties are configured at run-Time
(user, password, connection string etc.)

/**
 * PMSJDBCAppender can be used within the log4j framework to log into a DB
using connection pooling and
 * prepared statements.
 * @author bender
 */
public class PMSJDBCAppender extends JDBCAppender
{
    /** Holds the pattern enumeration as defined in the property file */
    private String myValues;
    /** the sql is defined in property file */
    private String myPreparedSQL;
    /** the DB access code */
    private String myDBAccessCode;
    /** the user name */
    private String myUserName;
    /** the password */
    private String myPassword;
    /** the connection string */
    private String myConnectionString;
    /** the JDBCDriver */
    private String myJDBCDriver;
    /** the statement to insert log entries */
    private CallableStatement myCstmt = null;
    /** DB connector utility */
    private DBConnector myDBConnector = null;

    /** standard constructor */
    public PMSJDBCAppender()
    {
        super();
    }

    /** closes the appender before disposal */
    public void finalize()
    {
        if ( myCstmt != null )
        {
            try
            {
                myCstmt.close();
            }
            catch ( SQLException e )
            {
                // ignore
            }
        } // if myCstmt != null

        myCstmt = null;

        super.finalize();
    }

    /**
     * Creates and prepares the used statement for inserting log informations
into DB.
     * <P>
     * All exceptions are ignored with the only drawback that no logging into
DB occurs.
     *
     * @return true if the statement has been prepared, false in all other
cases, especially
     *         if one of the needed strings is not initialized
(ConnectionString, Username,
     *         Password, JDBCDriver, DBAccessCode).
     */
    private boolean createStatement()
    {
        if (    ( myConnectionString == null )
             || ( myUserName == null         )
             || ( myPassword == null         )
             || ( myJDBCDriver == null       )
             || ( myDBAccessCode == null     ) )
        {
            // not yet properly initialized
            myCstmt = null;
            return false;
        } // if

        try
        {
            if ( myDBConnector == null )
            {
                myDBConnector = new DBConnector( myConnectionString,
                                                 myUserName,
                                                 myPassword,
                                                 myJDBCDriver,
                                                 null ); // <-- no logger is
provided, so no loggin occurs
                                                         // within DBConnector
            } // if myDBConnector == null

            myDBConnector.getConnection().setAutoCommit( true );
            myCstmt = myDBConnector.getConnection().prepareCall( myPreparedSQL
);
            myCstmt.registerOutParameter( 1, java.sql.Types.INTEGER );
            myCstmt.setString( 2, myDBAccessCode );

            return true;
        }
        catch ( SQLException e )
        {
            myCstmt = null;
            return false;
        }
        catch ( Exception e )
        {
            myCstmt = null;
            return false;
        }
    }

    /**
     * @see org.apache.log4j.jdbc.JDBCAppender#execute(java.lang.String)
     */
    public void execute( String aSql )
        throws SQLException
    {
        if ( myCstmt == null )
        {
            if ( ! createStatement() )
            {
                return;
            } // if ! createStatement()
        } // if myCstmt == null

        StringTokenizer tokenizer = new StringTokenizer( aSql, "@@" );

        int i = 3;
        while ( tokenizer.hasMoreTokens() )
        {
            String token = tokenizer.nextToken().trim();
            switch ( i )
            {
                case 4 : // level. We have to convert the string into the level
number
                    myCstmt.setInt( i, Level.toLevel( token ).toInt() );
                    break;
                case 6 : // field reference. We put the session id in it
                    if ( token.equals( "main" ) )
                    {
                        myCstmt.setInt( i, 0 );
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        try
                        {
                            myCstmt.setInt( i, new Integer( token.substring( 5
) ).intValue() );
                        }
                        catch ( NumberFormatException e )
                        {
                            // ignore and insert 0:
                            myCstmt.setInt( i, 0 );
                        }
                    }
                    break;
                default :
                    myCstmt.setString( i, token );
                    break;
            }

            i++;
        }

        myCstmt.executeUpdate();
    }

    /**
     * property access
     * @param aString - the new value of the property
     */
    public void setPreparedSQL( String aString )
    {
        myPreparedSQL = aString;
    }

    /**
     * property access
     * @param aString - the new value of the property
     */
    public void setValues( String aString )
    {
        myValues = aString;
    }

    /**
     * @see
org.apache.log4j.jdbc.JDBCAppender#getLogStatement(org.apache.log4j.spi.LoggingEvent)
     */
    protected String getLogStatement( LoggingEvent aEvent )
    {
        // this formats only the message but not the stack trace of the
throwable
        StringBuffer result = new StringBuffer( super.getLogStatement( aEvent )
);

        if ( layout.ignoresThrowable() )
        {
            String[] s = aEvent.getThrowableStrRep();
            if ( s != null )
            {
                int len = s.length;

                for ( int i = 0; i < len; i++ )
                {
                    result.append( Layout.LINE_SEP );
                    result.append( s[i] );
                }
            }
        }

        return result.toString();
    }

    /**
     * property access
     * @param aString the new value of the property
     */
    public void setDBAccessCode( String aString )
    {
        myDBAccessCode = aString;
    }

    /**
     * @param aConnectionString The connectionString to set.
     */
    public void setConnectionString( String aConnectionString )
    {
        myConnectionString = aConnectionString;
    }
    /**
     * @param aDriver The jDBCDriver to set.
     */
    public void setJDBCDriver( String aDriver )
    {
        myJDBCDriver = aDriver;
    }
    /**
     * @param aPassword The password to set.
     */
    public void setPassword( String aPassword )
    {
        myPassword = aPassword;
    }
    /**
     * @param aUserName The userName to set.
     */
    public void setUserName( String aUserName )
    {
        myUserName = aUserName;
    }
}