We are having performance problems which we traced to overhead from our
logging.  Each log  statemement is taking around 200 ms.  The details of the
logging configuration are:

Log4j 1.2.8 with RollingLogFileAppender
http://www.nabble.com/user-files/267/test_jsps.zip test_jsps.zip

File
Description
64-bit Linux
32-bit Windows

logging.jsp
Log 1000 iterations using only Log4j
93 ms
0.41 ms

file-IO.jsp
1000 iterations small file read using pure java file utility package
0.01 ms
0.13 ms

file-IO.jsp
1000 iterations writing to servlet logfile utilizing J2EE servlet API
1.67 ms
2.82 ms

Log4jPerformanceTest.java
Log 1000 iterations using only Log4j
0.81 ms
0.26

I have attached the source code of each test.  As you can see the
performance for a simple JSP which logs 1000 log statements using log4j is
over 200 times slower on the 64-bit Linux vs. the 32-bit Windows machine.
Does anyone have any advice?