Sorry I was looking at the Intellij project built by maven. it didn't
include the contribs code. I see Kevin Steppe created a
CompositeRollingAppender that does just this. Sorry should have paid
more attention to the actual code and the archives. That said as it is
part of contrib this seems to have aged as there is a call(327):
super.setFile(fileName,append);

That should probably now be something like:
super.setFile(fileName,append,bufferedIO,bufferSize);

Is the code in the contrib included in the distributed jars?

Cheers