I will check with the QA engineer who ran our tests.  However, you might want
to test with Flume 1.3.0 which was just released. We actually use the CDH
version of Flume from Cloudera and so our tests had many of the fixes that are
in 1.3.  I'm not sure what if what we were measuring is what you are. We tested
the performance difference is what the application sees, not the time to make
it to the repository.

In our tests the remote agent is running on a remote machine where the latency
is most likely the primary reason the embedded appender performs so much better.

Also, since you are using a vanilla pattern layout your log events may be
smaller than ours. We are using StructuredDataMessages and each of the items in
the Message are added as a header to the FlumeEvent, in addition to being
included in the message.  This allows them to be efficiently inserted into
Cassandra.

Ralph