On Jan 2, 2013, at 8:53 AM, Robert Elliot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been browsing the Log4j2 site, and the documentation is unsurprisingly
> very focussed on people using the Log4j2 API directly. Given the profile of
> Apache & Log4j as brands this means we will almost certainly very soon see
> libraries logging directly to the Log4j2 API (whether this is the intent of
> the committers or not). Which means that application writers will soon need
> to manage the log messages from those libraries as those libraries are
> brought in to their applications, directly or by transitive dependencies.
>
> Currently SLF4J provides means to redirect java.util.logging, Log4j and
> Commons Logging to SLF4J, and thankfully Logback doesn't encourage clients to
> use its API directly, making SLF4J the simplest means for centralising the
> diverse logging APIs in use to a single implementation of my own choice.
>
> I see there is a way to make Log4j2 an SLF4J implementation, but I could not
> see any documentation on redirecting Log4j2 to SLF4J in the event that the
> end application does not wish to use Log4j2 as its logging implentation. Is
> this on the cards?

You didn't ask this, but the intent of separating the Log4j 2 APi from the impl
is not to create another generic API to compete with SLF4J.  However, the Log4j
2 API contains more features than are available in SLF4J (mainly Messages), so
I would expect some loss of functionality and/or performance in a bridge like
this.  I haven't spent any time looking into what it would take to implement
the SLF4J bridge as I expected that would be part of the SLF4J offering.  That
said, my guess is that SLF4J could be treated as an alternate Log4j 2
implementation.  I'll add that to my list of things to do and if it works out
I'd probably donate it to SLF4J.