What you are asking for is essentially the Flume embedded appender.  However,
since Flume has so many dependencies I could understand why you would want to
do this.

Would making RollingFileAppender not be final actually buy you anything? You
would have to provide your own PluginFactory method and constructor no matter
what you do and that only leaves you the append, getFileName and getFilePattern
methods, which are all trivial.

That said, I have a need to have the FailoverAppender be able to failover from
the FlumeAppender to some sort of file appender and then have the events in
that file get routed back through Flume when it becomes available.  I haven't
thought of how to implement that as it is complicated.

Ralph