First, while I've done a lot of the work up until this point Apache is a place
where the community makes the decisions.

1) How stable is the API?  We recently had requests to add at least one
log(level, ....) method to the API.  That will probably be done. We have also
had a request to convert the Level from an enum back to an int.  I'd like more
community input on that one.  It is likely new Message types may be added but
other than that I don't see the API changing much.

2) My hope would be to see GA this summer, but again, it is up to the community.

3) Each Log4j 2 component is a maven sub-project. The javadoc for each is
there.  For example, under "Components" click on API. Then under "Project
Documentation" click on "Project Reports" and then Javadocs.  The pattern is
the same for each component.

4a) I would actually recommend SLF4J over Commons Logging if the application is
looking for an independent logging API.
  b) Again, many applications want an independent API. That is why they choose
Commons Logging or SLF4J.  As you noted, Log4j 2's API is not intended as a
replacement for SLF4J but as a way for Log4j 2 users to know what is the public
stuff they can safely code to and what is part of the implementation and thus,
more likely to change.
 c) The commons logging bridge provides the binding between Commons Logging and
Log4j 2.

Ralph