Actually, in reconsidering your question the solution is going to be a bit
messy. I haven't tried it but you should be able to do:

<root level="trace">
  <appender-ref ref="debugLog">
    <thresholdFilter level="info" onMatch="DENY" onMismatch="NEUTRAL"/>
    <thresholdFilter level="debug" onMatch="ACCEPT" on Mismatch="DENY"/>
  </appender-ref>
  <appender-ref ref="errorLog">
    <thresholdFilter level="fatal" onMatch="DENY" onMismatch="NEUTRAL"/>
    <thresholdFilter level="error" onMatch="ACCEPT" onMismatch="DENY"/>
  </appender-ref>

<root>

The first threshold filter will discard events with a logging level higher than
what your want.  The second discards events lower than what you want.

Ralph