Thanks for these questions.

Yes, if you move to Log4j 2.17.1 and use those 3 jars then all Log4j CVEs
(both 1.x and 2.x) will have been resolved.

How well the log4j-1.2-api works for you will depend on how many customizations
you made around Log4j 1.x. The API has always worked well that just did their
logging against the Log4j 1.x Logger class and didn’t customize anything.
Recently
we have been improving the migration support to support users who created their
own custom components and need to use the log4j 1.x configuration files. But
these
enhancements would not be in 2.12.x releases

For the appropriate information you should consult the Log4j 2 websites. All
prior
versions of the web site are available based on the version number. For
example,
the migration information for 2.12.4 can be found at
https://logging.apache.org/log4j/log4j-2.12.4/manual/migration.html.

Without knowing your application it would be impossible for me to say whether
using
log4j-1.2-api will be sufficient to migrate your application to Log4j 2,
especially at older
releases. I am afraid that you will have to test it to see.

Ralph