So if I understand correctly, you wrote a custom RollingFileAppender that
extends the FileAppender? If so, that should work just fine. But that would
just be a matter of compiling it and then using your custom appender in the
log4j.xml.

What is the tie in that requires a custom Logger?

Also, FWIW the Log4j 2 RollingFileAppender does not support being used across
multiple processes targeting the same file either. I’d love to know how you
avoided having the file roll multiple times (once for each process).

Ralph