What you are running into is a fundamental difference in how Log4j 1.x worked
and how Log4j2 works. In Log4j 1 when you added a Logger statement to the
configuration it would create a “real” Logger just as if you had called
LogManager.getLogger(). Log4j 2.x does not do that. As Pier noted, this is so
log events are never lost when configuration changes are made.

I have a suspicion here that the “loggerName” you passed in doesn’t actually
exist in your configuration.  The way getLoggerConfig works is that it looks
for a Logger defined in the configuration that exactly matches what you
specified - in this case “com.example.Class”.  If it doesn’t find that it then
strips off the last token and tries again (com.example). It repeats this until
it gets to the root LoggerConfig.  So if you don’t have any Loggers configured
that at least partially match the Logger name you provided then it is going to
set the level for the root LoggerConfig..

If you were to call getLogger for the same name it will only return the
LoggerConfig if there is an exact match, otherwise it will return null.

If you really want to change the level for a specific Logger then you have to
ensure that a LoggerConfig actually exists for that name.  You would first call
getLogger(loggerName) and if it returns null then you need to add a new
LoggerConfig by calling addLogger. You will need to create the LoggerConfig
with the appropriate Level, filters, and appenders (or let it inherit those
from its parents).  If it does exist then call setLevel on the existing
LoggerConfig. In either case you must then call updateLoggers to cause all the
Loggers to reassociate with the appropriate LoggerConfigs.

Ralph