Hi Piers,

On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 at 14:08, Piers Uso Walter <piers.wal...@ilink.de> wrote:
> However, what I was trying to achieve by using a servlet context listener was
> to be able to set the location of the log4j configuration file at run time.
> I’m trying to make the app compatible with different app servers where
> configuration files are typically placed in different locations.
> So I’m figuring out at run time which app server the app is running in, and
> based on that I know where to expect the log4j configuration file.

Can provide more details as to where the path to the configuration
file is actually stored? If you change the `log4j2.configurationFile`
property, other web apps on the same server will be affected, which
might be an unpleasant surprise to users. There are less invasive ways
to do that.

I also wonder if maintaining container specific code is worth the
effort. Many application servers have a detailed guide to configuring
logging (e.g. WildFly[1]). Users might be unwilling to learn yet
another way to configure logging.

Sure, Tomcat is an exception, that is why I maintain a small set of
Log4j Core plugins and Tomcat extensions[2] to help users
administering logging at a global level.

Piotr

[1] https://docs.wildfly.org/31/Admin_Guide.html#Logging
[2] https://github.com/copernik-eu/log4j-tomcat