Hi Jeff,

On Fri, 15 Mar 2024 at 02:43, <jeffrey.tho...@t-systems.com> wrote:
> Our builds are now ***full*** of deprecation warnings.  The IDE shows
> deprecation highlighting everywhere. Also, CI builds i.e. with Sonar evaluate
> use of deprecated API as Code Smells and Quality Gates fail.  When SQ quality
> gates fail our downstream jobs don't trigger.

Since you are one of the few users that pays attention to compiler
warnings, may I ask you for an opinion?

We are considering annotating our code with JSpecify nullability
annotations[1], which has a big chance to become THE nullability
annotation standard (instead of the 15-th nullability annotation
standard). Which one of these options would you prefer:

* we add JSpecify as a `provided` dependency: Maven will not download
the dependency in projects using Log4j API, but users will get many
compiler warnings about missing annotations. These are just warnings:
missing annotations cause no problems at runtime. Of course a user can
get rid of the warnings by including JSpecify in its own dependencies,
* we add JSpecify as a `compile` dependency and force users to
download the (2 KiB) JAR file.

Piotr

[1] https://jspecify.dev/