Von: Yuvraj Raj [mailto:r...@michaels.com]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 23. Mai 2013 20:27
An: log4net-...@logging.apache.org
Betreff: log4net.dll version 1.2.10.0 (FileSystemWatcher objects)

Hi,

I am application developer team supporting.NET project in Michaels Stores.
We have been using log4net.dll version 1.2.10.0 for application logs for our
project. The application is implemented in .NET , C# with 3.5 framework.

Recently we have faced System.OutOfMemoryException exception thrown by the
application. We have opened case with Microsoft.  Microsoft analyzed and
said memory consumption is due to FileSystemWatcher objects used by
log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator+ConfigureAndWatchHandler which are still
alive and pinned objects.

>From the memory dump, They found >2000 instances of
log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator+ConfigureAndWatchHandler and the
FileSystemWatcher objects created that contributed this issue. The issue is
happening due to the fragmentation of Gen2 Heap. The reason for the
fragmentation is the pinned System.IO.Overlapped objects used by
FileSystemWatcher objects.

To resolve the memory  issue, we need to get rid of the fragmentation caused
by pinned objects used by FileSystemWatcher objects

We have created logger object in singleton class but not sure how multiple
objects are being created.

When looking at the log4net.dll help from Apache web page, we found the
below link for log4net that have bug (LOG4NET-158) in version 1.2.10.0
saying XmlConfigurator.ConfigureAndWatch() leaks resources if called
multiple times

<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4NET-158?page=com.atlassian.jira.p
lugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12601148#actio
n_12601148>
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4NET-158?page=com.atlassian.jira.pl
ugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12601148#action
_12601148

The issue was fixed in version 1.2.11.0. Please let us know if above memory
issue was related to the bug and it has been resolved in the next release.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Yuvraj

Work: 972 409 5703 | Support: 972 400 0174 | Cell: 469 438 1396

_
Scanned by IBM Email Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs.
For more information please visit
http://www-935.ibm.com/services/us/index.wss/offerfamily/iss/a1026954
_