I think Piers wanted to know what differences between log4j and log4net caused you to start this thread.

Cheers

On 2015-10-06 19:39, Nicholas Duane wrote:
I'm not aware of all the differences, though I am the one that started this thread. From what I've been told, log4net was a port of log4j 1.0. I assume log4j 1.0 continued on and changed and log4net lagged behind. log4j 2.0, I'm also told, is significantly different from log4j 1.0 and thus significantly different from log4net.

My suggestion was to "port" log4j 2.0 to .NET. I have emphasized port so that what I'm suggesting wouldn't be confused with trying to make changes to the existing log4net to make it more similar to log4j2. I see benefit in having one logging framework work on both the major platforms.

In my mind it would seem to make sense to have one logging architecture/design and have that ported to both java and .NET, as well as any other major languages/frameworks.

Thanks,
Nick