Yes, that's actually how I see it, get the raw data, format them to a certain
type and pass to an appender.
As a matter of fact, this is exactly what Layouts allow me to do. I was wrong
saying that they are meant to render strings only. If fact you get an array ref
with all raw data inside the render() method. Maybe this is a bit which is
missing in the FAQ, "How can I write my own layout?". :)
So, I can implement my own Layout::JSON or/and Layout::XML and use them with
different appenders which working with strings. Nice! The only thing I'm
missing here is the ability to use built in layouts like PatternLayout when I
want to dump JSON to a log file as a formatted string. Or another example,
compressing the data before passing them to the appender. That brings me to the
idea of having a chain of layout (in current terminology) when you get an
actual result passed through a number of layouts and formatted in each of them
accordingly. But maybe this is a controversial feature request and should be
discussed in a separate thread.

/Dmitry