On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Michael Stevens wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 08:37:02PM +0000, Kieran Barry wrote:
> > TCL is used because its multithreaded. Perl 6 is going to be
> > multithreaded. It should be able to wipe TCL out.
>
> I've never actually understood the appeal of threads. Why do
> people like them?

The concept of execution threads within a process makes it easy to share
resources like database connections. As I understand it, that's it. The
pre-forked model that Apache uses has a problem because it's tough to
share resources.

Incidentally, I think this is the reason servlets are used.

Regards

Kieran