On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 04:27:42PM -0700, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 12:28:42PM +0100, Dominic Mitchell wrote:
> > Don't forget that even if you could automatically change the API over,
> > you'd still have to change all the SQL in the API as well.  Which is
> > probably just as difficult a task, given how much SQL can vary from
> > product to product...
>
> IME, the SQL only significantly varies when you're doing the kind of
> SQL that could earn you a serious DBA label or you're working in a
> bank. MySQL has fairly limited SQL capabilities which mapping onto
> Oracle shouldn't be hard. The reverse obviously isn't true.

Trouble is, they all have non-standard extensions, which are *really* handy
and which you *will* use if you don't know any better.  For example, MySQL
has AUTO_INCREMENT fields which are dead useful for id fields; the closest
Oracle equivalent would be using a sequence.

--
David Cantrell | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

       Rip, Mix, Burn, unless you're using our latest and greatest
         operating system which we couldn't be arsed to complete