On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 03:28:13PM +0100, Greg McCarroll wrote:
> But the question is, are they generating C code from Ocaml code
> and compiling it,

I don't think so. I think the Ocaml compiler compiles directly to
machine code. But what difference does it make, ultimately?

> this would explain the performance.

It might help to explain why it's faster than interpreted languages.
But C++ is a compiled language too, and Ocaml seemed to be
consistently faster than C++ in those benchmarks.

I don't think the picture is so simple any more, anyway.
Optimising JITs seem to be catching up...

 .robin.

--
Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas!