On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Paul Crowley wrote:

> It was nice to meet people at the pub yesterday and play Set!
>
> This isn't really Perl-specific, it's Unix specific, but I plan to
> implement the solution in Perl and you seem like a good crowd to ask.
>
> What's the cleanest way to make sure at most N processes are doing X
> at once, and anyone else wishing to do X blocks until one of those N
> are finished?

Isn't this the kind of thing grid engine and its ilk have been designed to
solve? There are many such architectures already written, I'm suprised
noone has mentioned it. There's not much point growing your own using IPC.

S.

--
Shevek                                    http://www.anarres.org/
I am the Borg.                         http://www.gothnicity.org/