Na uh, 800 points is the max, but 500 is the median. (I.E. half of all
people who have ever written the exam got less than 500, the other half
got more than that and passed)

So if everybody who ever wrote the exam studied really hard and the
average mark was 50 out of 60, then 50 becomes 500. 60 is 800, and all
other marks are scaled proportionately.

So you need to do really well just to get a so-so mark. What I don't
know is if that passing 500 grade translate into 50/60, 55/60, or god
forbid something even higher.

At least that is how I understand the marking scheme.

I want to write the 101 and 102 exams, but I really know by their
marking scheme how well I have to do to pass. It depends entirely on how
the marks translate, which in turn depends entirely on how all previous
exam writers faired in the past.