Quoting Subrata Modak ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 09:32 -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> > Quoting Matt Helsley ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > >   This patch adds a few tests for a variety of bind mounts. More than
> > > just shared subtrees are involved as plain --bind and plain --move are
> > > used. Read-only bind mounts are not covered by these tests however.
> > >
> > >   Avantika Mathur originally wrote the tests. I've ported them to use LTP
> > > APIs and conventions. I've also modified Avantika's scripts to try and
> > > robustly cleanup after broken tests so that leftover mounts and failures
> > > at any point in a test are cleaned up thoroughly. I've made what efforts
> > > I can to follow the conventions I found in LTP FAQs and the source
> > > however there's alot here so I may have missed something.
> > >
> > >   Shared bind mounts were introduced in 2.6.15. Because of this we need a
> > > tst_kvercmp command which can be invoked from a script. I've added this
> > > to ltpapicmd.c
> > >
> > >   This patch applies to the April release of LTP. I'll also be posting
> > > results for x86, x86_64, and ppc64 on a variety of kernels. In order to
> > > highlight the results contributed by this patch I've only run this
> > > portion of the patched LTP.
> > >
> > >   Comments welcome.
> >
> > Excellent!  Thanks for sending these.  I'll take a detailed look over
> > the next week.
>
> Thanks Sergei for offering to review. Will wait for your review comments
> before i merge them.

Subrata, please do not hold off on merging these tests until I've
reviewed them.  That would take way too long and it'll be useful to
have people reporting failures in the meantime, as they'll either
be correct feedback about kernel bugs, or useful feedback about
bugs in the tests.

Matt/Avantika, here are a few notes to start with.

For namespace tests, I'd recomment just using unshare(CLONE_NEWNS).
clone() can be fickle based on arch+distro+moonphase, and proper
behavior of clone+unshare belongs in namespace tests, so here just
using unshare is sufficient and easier.

bind/OO_: duplicate descriptions per file, that'll be painful to maintain.

Tools are a bit of a mess...
        smount.c is included, BUT
        makedir expects uptodate 'mount' with --make-X support, PLUS
        bin/makedir uses confusing terminology
                (share->rshared, nshare->shared, unclone->runbindable)
        But changing that now would obviously be unrealistic.

If you're going to have 20 tests per feature anyway, I'd prefer to
see the tests be less baroque, with each piece tested exactly once.
I.e. in bind/test13, share1, share2, and parent1/child1/x seem like pure
noise.  Since you're not doing rbind here at all you could just do:

        makedir unclone parent1
        makedir share parent2
        mount --bind parent1 parent2 2> /dev/null || result =$? # mount should
fail

(I suppose you're trying to check whether having shared mounts in parent
and child directories of child1 messes up the unbindable semantics for
child1?)

So far I haven't seen anything that looked wrong, though.  I'll keep
looking, but in the meantime I maintain that putting this in the ltp
tree now will be valuable.

thanks,
-serge